Portland… the city of roses.. also the city of delicious food and a plethora of micro-breweries and distilleries doing an amazing job at getting you snapped up for happy hour!
Our trip began in the negative as a snowstorm had hit the city and the I-5 was backed up to Washington. 12 Hours later we reached our condo, PDX Pied-à-terre.
We drank and feasted at many spots, this is just a highlight of those places we enjoyed. The trip was short and sweet, and brought us home in time for the new year.
Unfortunately, the one restaurant we were very much looking forward to dining in (Le Pigeon) – http://www.lepigeon.com/ was closed for the holidays. I guess that means we will be back!
- Toro Bravo – LINK
- Amazing. Must Visit. Tasting Menu with Sherry flight, and Campari cocktails. Oxe tail was the winner.
- Secret Society -> Upstairs of Toro Bravo, we don’t have absinthe at home so this was also a nice treat.
- Mothers – Link
- Home Cooking- done right. A late night escape while waiting for traffic to die down.
- Kenny and Zhukes – Link
- The best reuben I’ve had on the west coast.
- Castagna – Link
- 5/10 -> Presentation was absolutely beautiful; but unfortunately the dishes lacked punch and depth. The desserts were amazing though, and were a clear knock-out for the dinner.
- The Original – Link
- Really good short rib perogies, and ham and chicken croquettas. Great for a quick lunch and drink.
- Country Cat – Link
- Really great brunch, you can tell they care about the quality of ingredient. A hangover cure! Apparently they butcher on site which is always a treat. A medium rare burger, fried chicken for brunch, home-made ketchup.. I could go on and on about how great this place is.
- Barista – Link
- Very good machiatto’s and single long espresso’s. We kept going back here as this is how coffee should taste!
- Ten 01 – Link
- Charred squid, and Aquavit cocktails -> very well done. Beautiful space, and very knowledgeable staff.
- RomTom –
- Good cheap cocktails
- Cacoa Drink Chocolate – Link
- They carry some very rare brands of chocolate, some very hard to find brands for Canadians.
Some Microbreweries we visited:
- Rogue Public House – Link
- Thanks to the Alibi Room and Brewery Creek we have sampled many of these great beers. The Hazelnut Brown was delicious as is the Double Dead Guy (bok).
- Picked up 26 x 700ml bottles for a featured burger night we were having! Great times.
- Deschutes Brewery – Link
- As mentioned above we have sampled a few, but had a great dark ale – The Abyss. The public house is top notch and a nice seat to stay in.